You have most probably heard of the earwig bugs at one point or another. Earwigs are small sized disturbing insects that have silverfish-like flat bodies. They are usually brown or black in colour and have reddish spots or stripes on their limbs and head. These pesky pests can be anywhere between 5mm to 25mm long. A small part of their body comprises of forceps which they use as a defence tool. Earwigs also have wings, but they rarely use them to fly.
Earwigs feed mostly during night-time. Their diet consists of both insects and veggies like lichens, fungi, and moss. They also feed on decayed organic materials such as pile of leaves and mulch. Their primary attractants in your home are greasy spills left uncleaned in the kitchen. For merely insects, earwigs show an uncommon level of maternal instincts. Most female species of earwigs actually care for their unhatched eggs.
How Do You Unknowingly Attract Earwigs?
Earwigs have a tendency of hiding under bark, rocks, organic debris, or simply sleep away in dark and damp spots during daytime. However, they can also seek to infest your homes under extreme weather conditions or when threatened by predators.
They are usually attracted to decaying food materials that offer a supply of cellulose for them. Stacks of papers, books, cardboard boxes, and uncapped edible items left in dark and damp attics and basements are basically a welcome mat for these tiny pests. You can also attract them with unclean food spills in your kitchen, as earwigs are particularly drawn towards sweet, oily, and greasy food materials.
How to Make Your Home Less Attractive to Earwigs?
Earwigs are not directly harmful for you and your family. Nonetheless, you don’t want to have them in your home. If you notice one or two of these pests then you can vacuum or sweep them out of your house. However, if you think you have an infestation and want to get rid of these pests from your home, we recommend calling a Professional Pest Control Brisbane service. An experienced pest control technician will inspect your entire property for earwig infestation and customize a suitable treatment as per your needs.
In Addition to This, There are Many Preventive Measures You Can Adopt to Make your Residential or Commercial Property Less Attractive for Earwigs:
- Leave at least 15 inches gap between the walls of your property and shrubbery or grass
- Don’t decorate your lawn with stones and pebbles which make a hiding spot for earwigs
- Clean rain gutters at regular intervals
- Ensure that rain gutters are placed such that they carry rainwater directly outside your property
- Clean up your yard and garden regularly. Make sure that organic debris like leaves and branches do not pile up near your property
- Use dehumidifiers at frequent intervals in attic, basement, and other damp areas in your home
- Get leaky taps fixed by professional plumbers
- Clean out leftover pet food every night
- Store edible items in sealed airtight containers
- Wash and clean food spills from dining tables and kitchen top immediately
- Vacuum your house thoroughly
- Inspect the boundary of your property and seal all cracks and crevices which may serve as entry points for earwigs
Hire Professional Services
Earwigs usually tend to stay outdoors. They come inside only when threatened by predators or weather conditions. Luckily, there are special pest control companies that provide earwig treatments. Pest Ban is a renowned name in the pest control industry for all kinds of pest removal services. We provide effective and long lasting earwig removal services at most reasonable prices in Sydney and Brisbane.
Contact us Today and Book your Booking as well as you can Read More About – > Why Go For Pest Control that is Safe for Baby?